Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Tip for the Crew

I've been on a few mission trips and have discovered two things that I think are FANTASTIC for anyone going on a trip that involves the rugged outdoors.


Crocs

I could seriously do a commercial for these shoes. It took me a long time to get on board with them. I thought they were ugly. And I thought they were a fad and since I'm not too into fads I was reluctant to try them. But I eventually did try a pair and now I don't want to wear anything else. They are amazing! The past two years at Pine Ridge I've had some trouble with my feet and legs swelling at the end of the week. Its the only time I've ever had any trouble like that but it's annoying when I need to be on my feet and on top of things. Since working in retail and being on my feet all day, I often feel pain in my feet - as if the bones are about to come through the bottom of my feet, but they only swell when I'm on the Rez and then only at the end of the week. Did I mention how annoying that is??
Last year I wore my Crocs while on the Rez and it seemed to help - a lot. This year I've discovered that Crocs makes a shoe specifically for people like me. In fact, they make 2 medical shoes - one for diabetics who have problems with sensitivity and circulation and one called "Relief" that provide an ultra soft sole for a cushioning effect for plantar pain, heel pain, and metatarsalgia. I've just ordered a pair and hope to get even more relief this year. You can get them online at crocs.com
Columbia Sportswear Shirts
I can't say enough good things about these shirts. I've worn them to Haiti and had them washed by Haitian women in the river and beaten on rocks and they came back looking brand new. They are lightweight - much lighter than a cotton t-shirt, so they are cool and comfortable in HOT weather. They also dry really quickly when they get wet. And they provide UV protection! They can be pricey but they are worth it. I've had some of these shirts for 7 years now. They've been everywhere from Haiti to the Rez to working on the farm at Eagle's Nest to Hurricane Katrina relief trips, to just plain everyday wear and they still look like they did the day I bought them. Well OK, one of them does look like it's been on the Rez - one of the teen girls gave me a hug with paint all over her hands last year. I now have a permanent "hug" on my shirt which I wear with pride. These can be found at Bass Pro shops and at Dicks Sporting Goods.
No, you don't have to have them. You'll live without them. But I figure when faced with a rough week, I'll take all the comfort I can get and these two items have been wonderful to have on mission trips.