Just got a call from a lady in my church. She went to the dentist this morning and asked them to donate toothpaste and toothbrushes for Pine Ridge! Amazing. I didn't ask her to do that, didn't expect it, and didn't even know she was going to. Wow. I love it when people get on board and do whatever they find to do to help out. Its amazing to see what can happen when that happens. I wonder if she knows that the need for that is SO great on the Rez? Here are some stats about oral health care at Pine Ridge.
- Less than 50% of population has access to water fluoridation
- Lowest oral hygiene scores with lowest frequency of daily tooth brushing & flossing (this may be because with an income of $3500, toothpaste may take a backseat to food and other basic needs)
- 56% of adult population have total tooth loss
- Children: 60% have active, untreated tooth decay – less than 50% have seen a dentist
- Ages 35 – 44: 50% have moderate to severe periodontal disease
- World highest incidence of ECC (Early Childhood Caries) ~ 80%