Thursday, May 04, 2006

Change of Plans - Again

If you've been on a mission trip, you already know that being flexible and going with the flow just goes with the territory. We plan, knowing that at any moment, without warning, our plans may be turned upside down.

That has happened.

And it will happen again, I'm sure. Probably a few more times.

So here's the deal...

I talked to the missionaries there Tuesday night and found out that the church at Wounded Knee is having a Campmeeting (revival) the week that our team will be there. SO, we will be going to church at Wounded Knee every night.

I realize that will be disappointing to a lot of us - me included. I realize that we do not drive all the way to South Dakota to go to church every night. And I realize that this development will cut our time with the kids a bit short, and that spending time with the kids is the whole reason we go out there.

BUT...

I also know that God is in control. I believe that He knew, long before they even knew, that they would be having Campmeeting that week. And I believe He knew, long before we knew, that we would be there that week. Frankly, I think God has this thing planned for a reason. Do you realize that this is the ONE thing that I do not have my sticky fingers involved in? This one is pure God. I've not had the opportunity to mess this one up, so, I suspect, it may well be the best part of our trip.

The problem.

The problem is that we had planned to do Teen Nights each week we were there. Most were simple - just a video and popcorn, or driving into Martin to get ice cream with the teenagers after church. The big one that we were counting on was a big birthday party to celebrate 3 of our crew memeber's birthdays and to give the kids a chance to celebrate THEIR birthdays. I imagine most if not all of them have never had a birthday party. We really wanted to give them one.

And we will.

Instead of doing the birthday party for a Teen Night, we will be doing it at VBS during the day - with all of the kids.

Another problem.

That means that instead of doing a birthday party for 30 teenagers, we will be doing a party for up to 150 kids! Which means, the cost of this trip just went up. Not good. Our crew was already strapped for money and the extremely HIGH gas prices have put a sqeeze on things. Now we have to plan for a LOT more kids for the party AND we have more gas expense in driving to Wounded Knee every night (Wounded Knee is about a 45 minute drive - one way.)

SO, I spent the day Wednesday trying to revamp the trip and figure out what to do with this development. And I think I have it figured out. (God is laughing at me about now because I think I have it figured out.)

I have figured the cost of doing the party for that many more kids and I think we can do the party for $3.00 per kid. We will be asking people to help us out by purchasing a party pack for a child.

The $3.00 Party Pack will include:

One cupcake
Ice Cream
Punch
A Party Hat
Party Favors
A Loot Bag


For $3.00 anyone who wants to help us out
can make sure the kids get a birthday party.


The Good News is...

This will allow more kids, and younger kids to enjoy a birhtday party.

We will get to spend each night in the church at Wounded Knee. That building is a part of our nation's history because the American Indian Movement (AIM) took over that building in the 1970's uprising. You can still see the bullet holes in the walls of the church.

We will also be worshiping right across the road from the Wounded Knee memorial and mass grave. I don't know about you, but I will find that difficult to ignore as we worship and pray to God.

We will also get to meet more of the adult Lakota people. They are sweet and you will love them.

And best of all, God has something for us while we are there. I have a feeling this is a GOOD thing that has happened.