Monday, July 18, 2011

Less Than 2 Weeks ... and Counting

Ever wonder what a typical day looks like a couple of weeks before we leave? There's a lot that goes into these trips ... a whole lot.

I can't speak for everyone but I do know that 3 guys showed up today with a load of lumber for the building project. They had been out buying it and hauling to my garage and if I know them, they were probably busy doing other things too.

Another lady is cutting about 900 strips of fabric that measure 2"x6" for a craft project. I'm quite sure she's having a blast. ;)

Another team member is having surgery tomorrow. Yeah ... its like that.

And I am doing all sorts of things. I started the day out by going shopping for a few things that are still on my list. I bought 500 cookies, 200 band aids to add to the few hundred I already have, and 2 cans of coffee. All completely necessary. :) I ran into the center of the universe there - a lady who moved my cart away while I was in the middle of paying for the items. I was so tempted to say, 'Oh excuse me, I didn't realize the world revolved around you - let me get out of your way" ... but I was nice and smiled and said, 'Oh I'm going to need that to take my stuff to the car."

Then I came home and bagged sand. We have a pile of sand in our backyard that was left over from a project and since the theme this year is "the beach", we're taking a couple of those molded plastic kiddie pools and a bunch of sand out to make sand boxes for the little ones to play in. Maybe they'll even build sand castles.

I'm not sure what I was thinking because we have a heat emergency out today - the heat index is over 100 today. Oh yeah.... its going to be that hot or hotter all week long and we're running out of time - so I'm gettin' r done when I can.

I'm also still looking for a home for 327 backpacks. I have homes for the other 500 but still need a place to distribute these last few hundred. I know, I know ... I can hear the screams of "WHY DID YOU WAIT SO LONG TO DO THAT?!?!?!?!" Welllll ... let me tell ya .... its a different world on the Rez. If we do things too soon - plans seem to fall apart. I've had that happen enough to learn my lesson and wait ... and trust that God has it all under control and it will work out just like its supposed to.

That's a hard lesson for us middle-class, suburban Americans who like to think we're really, really efficient. So its kinda fun to watch people freak out a little bit when they see how I work. Hey, what's the worst that can happen?? Whatever it is, trust me, the world will not come to an end over it. I have a few possibilities ... and if those don't pan out, there's always plan "B" and "C". But I have a feeling ... that it's going to be just fine.

And when I get all this down to a manageable work load ... there's shopping to be done for school supplies for backpacks in 2012. And REZonate ... and a 5k/10k race to work on.

Well, daylight is burning ... keep watching here ... I plan to post lots of updates on the trip.